“Last Warm Hurrah” for 2021

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

By Dan G., MVSA Webmaster

Fourteen flyers and one newbie came out to fly in the 67-degree air today at the main field for the annual “Frozen Fingers” fun fly which turned into a “Last Warm Hurrah” for 2021.

The fun fly was moved up 24-hours due to a promising forecast for today which looks to turn to rain and snow over the weekend.

““I couldn’t shut up about it and I’m sure everyone in the family was sick of me talking about it lol. I’ll definitely be in early this coming season.” – Mike S.

Brandon M. was saw bugs over his head and thought there must be lift as he saw Dan G. fly above. Bill C. brought hot chocolate with a few takers. Robert S.’s mended Volo looked as if it were doing circuits at an airport for what seemed like an hour. Mmmmmmrrrr  – up it went, circle, circle, and then mmmmmmrrrr  – up again. Mike S., who messaged the club through the website got a little stick time on Bob G.’s Ava Pro.

“I couldn’t shut up about it and I’m sure everyone in the family was sick of me talking about it lol,” visitor Mike S. reacted to the day in a text. “I’ll definitely be in early this coming season.”

At one point six gliders were over the field – pretty rare for the last day of the year. There were only two incidents – Bob G. found his Ava Pro low and far to the northeast – but managed to bring it down next to the levee – and Bill C. arc’ed his 2-meter V-Tail. The damage was said to be repairable.

The wind started from the southwest and then came from the south shifting the one then two high-start launch corridors.

Late the in the winter afternoon the flyers watched Brandon M. and Dan G. work what seemed the best lift of the day. The wind had picked up from light to 10 mph which increased the launches of the two 3.5-meter carbon ships. Brandon worked lift northwest of the field as Dan was just southeast. It wasn’t a competition but with similar launch times and the same air it appeared to be a little case of “who can stay up the longest”. Both landed with similar times although Dan clocked his flight around 12 ½ minutes. They both walked back and were greeted by a cheerful Robert S. and a small group of flyers still at the field. It was 1pm.

As they packed up Bill R. rushed to the corner – full of cars an hour before. He put his wing on the electric two meter, buzzed it into the air to catch a still buoyant sky.

Leaving the field with the winter sun low in the sky – the car external temperature read 67-degree. We keep saying “this is the last good weather of the season” and then rarities like today happen. The forecast looks less rosy tomorrow with a high of 38 and 100% rain. The next day looks to be 24 with snow as a possible snowstorm threatens the region with up to 10-inches of snow.